Friday, June 5, 2009

A Chance

“Hello?”
“Hi.”
“Why are you calling so late?”
“I was wondering if we could talk?”
“Now? Its 3am.”
“I really need to talk.”
“I guess so. Where are you?”
“Outside.”
“My apartment!?”
“Ya, I really need to talk to you.”
“Uhh, okay I'll be out in a minute.”
“Thank you.”

Why was he here? His chest ached with secrets. The kind of secrets that sculpt the way a person lives life. At first they weren't secrets. Break ups, failures, laughter, moments that were known but not talked about. Eventually people forgot, moved away, or stopped caring. He didn't. Those moments stuck with him. For better or for worse, these were his moments.
He could hear his Grandpa's favorite line repeating over and over again in his head. “Don't open a can of worms until you're ready to fish.” Was he opening that can before he was ready? He should just leave. But he already woke her up. He'd call back, apologize for waking her and walk away. Yes.
“What did you want to talk about?” she asked startling him from his thoughts.
“Umm,” He took a, deep breath, let it out and decided he'd go for it.
“I've missed so many chances. I've played it safe. But I'm tired of being alone. Thats why I'm here tonight. We have been friends for some time now. I want you to know that I really have appreciated your friendship. Every time I look at you I see a chance. An opportunity. I don't want to be alone anymore. I'd like to take a chance on you.”
“I don't know what to say. I appreciate that this was hard for you. But I'm not interested.”
“Oh.” His chest hurt.
“Sorry to wake you.”
“I'm sorry, I just......”
“You don't need to explain. Sorry to wake you.” He stood up and walked into the comfort of the night.

1 comment:

Millas said...

I HOPE this isn't a true story.