Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I'll Have Legs Tomorrow

The couch was soft and mushy, a perfect hiding spot from the world. I loved to become encompassed by its musky warmth. That’s where I was when Jenny discovered my presence.
“Zac could you go get the mail,” she asked.
“Ummmm, Jenny I don’t want to,” I responded.
With a glare she repeated herself, “Zac go get the mail”.
There was an electric current in the air, the type you can feel before lightning strikes. Oh how I wish I didn’t have legs, then I wouldn’t be able to go get the mail.
Realizing that I was ignoring her, she raised her voice, “ZAC go get the mail?”
Hiding my smirk I deviously replied, “I can’t, I don’t have any legs”. The tension snapped. Jenny grabbed the keys to the mailbox and stormed out leaving an imprint of her silhouette plastered to my mind.
I should have been worried about Jenny. Instead all I could think about was my perfect response, “I can’t, I don’t have any legs”. What if I really didn’t have legs? With a crash I was rudely dragged from my thoughts. A wild beast stood in the doorway. The fire in her eyes was so powerful I could feel my hair singeing from across the room.
Vehemently she spat, “Thanks a lot Zac”.
“Jenny?” I squeaked.
“What do you want now?” she roared.
Relief flowed through me like a cool stream. I wasn’t dead yet. Feeling slightly braver I continued, “Jenny where is my wheel chair?”
“Zac you don’t have a wheel chair”, she sneered.
Dang it, why was she doing this to me? First the mail and now my wheel chair, why does she expect me to do everything? I don’t even have legs! With a thud, I rolled off the couch. As I started to drag myself across the floor I made the mistake of looking at the carpet. Once this carpet was white, now its not. Crumbs, dirt, and the unknown were scattered about. Looking behind me I noticed the streak my lifeless legs left in the dirt. They reminded me of worms on a rainy day.
Digging a trough through the grime, I slithered past the kitchen and into the hallway. By this time both my elbows were screeching their defiance. Pausing for a moment I peered at my damaged flesh. The skin on my arm was getting rubbed raw. Stifling a moan and wiping away a tear, I hid my pain from my sister. The last thing I wanted was to give her the pleasure of seeing my pain. Embracing my deteriorating flesh I continued toward the end of the hallway. If I could just make it on my own I would find some semblance of dignity.
With a lurch I shoved open the bathroom door to face-plant next to the toilet. For a second I lay there, breathing in the musky smell of urine. After a while I pried my face from the ground and squirmed my way inside. Trying not to think about my shattered dignity, I heaved myself onto the edge of the bathtub. Meticulously I began to undress. Just as I managed to escape the confines of clothing, I slipped. Backwards I fell, smashing my head on the porcelain tub. As the light dimmed, a blanket of darkness encircled my decrepit body.
When I woke up I realized I was lying exposed in the cold, unforgiving porcelain tub. The faucet was slowly leaking one drop at a time, creating unwanted chaos in my throbbing head. Reaching forward I turned on the faucet. A rush of ice water surged forth. The shock stole the breath from my body. With each drop of water, my body became exceedingly numb.
Embracing that numbness I pondered my lifeless legs. Why did I have to live life as a cripple? My heart and soul yearned for the chance to run along a windswept beach. I was sick of this arduous life. “Ouch” Just when I thought my life couldn’t get any worse something else began to cause me pain. Where was this spiteful ache coming from? It wasn’t my elbows or my head. From a hidden alcove of my mind, the answer spewed forth. It was my toe! I was feeling my toe. If I could feel my toe, could I feel my legs?
Exploring this epiphany I grabbed hold of the shower curtain. Using it like a rope in gym class, I started to heave my body upwards. When I finally climbed high enough I focused on my insensitive legs trying to motivate them to support my weight. Slowly my legs materialized beneath my body. Trying not to think about gravity, I let go of the curtain.
My body betrayed me with feeling. I fell back into oblivion. Overwhelmed by despair my hope cracked. WHY? All I wanted was to stand, even if it was just for a moment. Why, couldn’t I experience life like everybody else? Channeling my anger I surged up the curtain one more time. Dangling like a broken wind chime, my fears flourished. My legs are dead! This is insane; I don’t want to fall down again. I hung there looking at the abyss below knowing I was about to fall. “Crack” the bar holding the curtain snapped in two. As I fell the curtain reminded me of a majestic waterfall cascading from its captivity. If only I could leave my prison too.
“BANG, BANG, BANG”, the door sang. Can doors sing? As a spatter of cold water cleared away the fog, I realized Jenny was pounding on the door. Sounding slightly worried she asked, “Zac! Are you okay?”
“What?” I asked, feeling like a butterfly in a tornado.
Letting out a sigh, either in frustration or relief she continued, “Are you okay? I heard something crash”.
She really did sound worried. For a minute I considered how to answer. Trying to be as optimistic as possible I replied, “Oh it was just me, nothing to worry about”.
Not satiated by my explanation, she bellowed like a mad elephant, “WHAT HAPPENED?”
“Jenny?” I sputtered.
“What?” she retorted, sounding slightly less irritated?
“I think I can do it!” I exclaimed, sounding like an overenthusiastic baby bird.
Hesitating for a second she asked, “Do what?”
Barely managing to hold my excitement at bay I replied, “I think I can stand!!!”
“Zac, you have always been able to stand. You can even walk” she scoffed.

No comments: