Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Classic Skating

Last night I became retro. Well Sort of. I went to Classic Skating. My sister and I are watching a 14 year old boy for some family friends while they are out of the country. Jenny was going to hang with him last night. Therefore I planned on seeing a movie with some friends. After work I called Jenny and she was feeling awful. Not only that, but the boy had dragged her to a school party at classic skating. After debating with myself (it felt like hours, but was only minutes) I called my friends and canceled. Ten minutes later I found myself at the doors of classic skating. They made me pay (there goes my movie money). It didn't take long to find my sister. She was huddled at a table trying to read a book. I told her she could leave, but had to leave the book. She said the book was awful and I really wouldn't want to read it. (Maybe that is why she was feeling sick. Don't you feel sick when you read a terrible book?) Just as she was leaving she informed me that I didn't have to pay if I wasn't skating. With her final words I was left in a throng of Children. I decided I didn't want to waste my money. Grabbing some skates I strapped them on and headed for the floor. Holy Crap, I hadn't gone skating since Jr. High and I was awful. I skidded too and fro, i felt really awkward. Then the people running things decided I was having too much fun. They began to play a game. The object of the game was to fall down when the music stopped. Needless to say, I was pretty good at the falling down. Unfortunately the music usually hadn't stopped. After a little while the game ended and I was back to my adventure of trying to stay standing. Eventually I got the hang of it. I began thinking that I should become a pro. then came the next game. This one they called blackout. Supposedly they turned off all the lights and had everyone skate in the dark. Either being ridiculously brave or horrendously stupid I stayed on the skating floor. As most of the lights went out a few remained on. Their blackout was a fraud. I actually found myself feeling relieved until the lights started flashing. The head honcho had decided skating in the semi-dark wasn't enough. He had turned on the strobe lights. Between my seizures and trying to avoid little kids cutting me off, I think I had fun. Maybe. Anyways after an hour of skating around I decided it was time for me to leave.

No comments: