Monday, May 26, 2008

My Neverland

When most people think of Neverland they think of Peter Pans Neverland.
But every individual has their own Neverland, whether they realize it or not. Neverland is a place of dreaming and imagination. It is a place safe from the increasingly chaotic world.
Peter felt a need for something in his Neverland, something that Wendy had and he didn't. That is why he invited her to come with him to Neverland. He enticed her with clever words; words that made Wendy feel a longing that in turn led to her departure from London. But Peter didn't realize the profound affect that Wendy would have on his Neverland.
Wendy was a practical person. She was logically sound and very dependable. In a way she was a practical magician. She understood Peter in ways even he couldn’t comprehend. She changed Peter without Peter ever realizing that he was changing. In the end she left Peter, but she left him changed.
The lost boys were constant companions for Peter. They offered him a sense of belonging. Peter knew that without fail he could depend on the lost boys. They were always ready for an adventure. Each of the lost boys had a special place with Peter. Adventures are not nearly as much fun when you don't have someone to share it with. He never admitted such a thing, but it is obvious he was hurt when they decided to leave with Wendy. “To show that her departure would leave him unmoved, he skipped up and down the room, playing gaily on his heartless pipes”. Each of the lost boys had a responsibility to themselves and their futures. It was Wendy’s influence that let Peter accept the decision made by his boys.
"He skipped about and made funny faces, but when, he stopped it was just as if she were inside him, knocking". Wendy had awoken something in Peter that he couldn’t ignore, even when he tried too. Although Peter wanted to prevent Wendy and the lost boys from leaving him, he knew he couldn't. But by going with Wendy the lost boys were abandoning Peter. Wendy was abandoning Peter. He knew that he had to let them go, but he also knew that his life would never be the same.
My Neverland once was great. Much like Peter Pans Neverland. I had my lost boys (more like pirates than lost boys. Pirates aren't always evil) to join me on my adventures, and I had my Wendy's. There were mermaids and fairies, Indians and cowboys (I realize Pans Neverland didn't have cowboys, but mine does). It was a place of wonder and excitement. Then one day it changed.
My lost boys decided to grow up. They are making the changes in their lives that will lead them to respectable roles in the community. A lot of people have a responsibility to themselves and their futures to leave their Neverland. To leave and grow up. Just like the lost boys had to leave, just like my friends need to leave.
Generally it is assumed that Neverland is a place to hide from responsibility. For some people that is exactly what Neverland entails. But I feel and know that I have a responsibility to find and remain in Neverland. My Neverland is not a place to hide from responsibility. I can't float through life using other people to support me. I know that I need to support myself. I also understand that when I get a family I am responsible for providing for them. But I also know that if I don't find my Neverland and live there, my purpose in life is dead. I have a responsibility to my dreams and imagination. I won't forgo my Neverland. If I do I'll be worthless to the world and myself.
Something inside of me is knocking. So I say goodbye to my lost boys and hope that growing up is an adventure they shall enjoy. Like Peter I'll return to my Neverland, but it will never be the same.

No comments: