Friday, May 30, 2008

Treasure Hunting

Have you ever wanted to become a treasure hunter? I have. The very first step to becoming a treasure hunter is figuring out what kind of treasure hunter to become.

There are the metal detector hunters. They walk around parks, playgrounds, and beaches decked out in their gear. Often times they are mistaken for a crazy person. If you get caught hovering above something that sets off that irritating beeping sound, you better watch out. My advice to anyone who interacts with one of these hunters is to not stand in their way. For some reason they don't like it when you follow them around and dig up the treasure they locate.

There are the archeological treasure hunters. These guys aren't in it for the money as much as the fame. They want to be credited with finding lost civilizations. I'm not sure why anyone would want the fame from that. If they are really lucky their name might be written in a book, but that is about the extent of their fame.

There are the Indiana Jones treasure hunters. Very few of these people exist. Many people dream of travelling around the world finding items that could have a profound impact on mankind (like a precious ring from Lord of the Rings or the Holy Grail). The biggest problem with these treasure hunters is the life expectancy. Unfortunately not very many of these treasure hunters are as humble as Indiana.

Some of my favorite treasure hunters are Pirates. Riding the high seas capturing vessels of importance and robbing them blind. Oh how my heart yearns for a pirate adventure. But like Indiana Jones hunters, Pirates have a very low life expectancy. It has something to do with international law and being hung. Not a very pleasant end if you ask me.

Recently I had a few friends point out this last category of treasure hunter. These are the people that treasure experience. These experiences come from relationships with other people. In the last couple of years I've become part of a select group of people. They are known by many names. A few of which are, but not limited too: Provo Pirates, Provo runners, weirdos, brothers, us, or as I usually call them; my friends. They have unlocked an abundance of treasure chests for me. Many people are confused by our antics. Every once in a while we all dress up like Pirates because we can. I can think of four of them that currently are devoting their lives to God for the next two years of their lives. I can think of several others that have already done that. We definitely aren't the typical young men. But it has been through my friendship with these guys that I've realized the truth about treasure. The greatest treasure I have ever found is the bond I share with them. Hopefully this type of treasure hunter is the one you choose to become. All the other treasure in the world can and probably will be stolen (hopefully by me), but nobody can ever take away the experiences you have with friends and family throughout life. I dare to say that these treasures are the only treasures truly worth the effort it takes to find them.

Hopefully I have enlightened you on the subject of treasure hunters. If I didn't address your preferred type of treasure hunter please leave a comment informing me of their attributes and downfalls.

Cheers.

No comments: